I made a slight boo boo in not allowing the chance to have the stepper on either (or both) side(s) and next time I’d probably print the rings inside each other because I though I would break one of them putting the rings inside each other… Some slight warping of the ABS inside the holes means they had to be drilled out a little to fit the bearings, but this is quite normal… the grabcad model was really good but obviously some of the balls have different designs so a little modification is required….
Well, not too far off. I printed the new one piece arm and it came out really well. I had to use support since there are a couple of overhang places but these cleaned off really easily and the Leap fits inside like a glove! 🙂 The USB should be enough to hold it in place making it a rather elegant solution (and requiring no velcro or moving parts which is always nice….). It’s a lot lighter too which is good.
now I need to decide whether I should ABS glue it to the cuff I have or whip up a new one…
Print a load of connection panels of course…. this was a good use of the 5m of PLA that is no good for anything else…
I also started printing some test hexagons too with a little of the glow in the dark PLA I have left. Two panels together seem to hold together well enough to print all the way up but the left side is a little wonky. This is possibly partly due to the fan that I removed my extruder fan a while ago when I had some problems with it, it’s not really needed for ABS.
I’ve been printing only ABS for ages so my PLA calibration seems to be a little off. My usual method of calibration is to print a 10x10mm tower and play with the extrusion rate and temperature every 5mm or so. This creates a tower of plastic quite quickly that makes it easy to figure out what the optimal rates are.This is after the normal manual checking of the filament diameter and checking the feed rate (mark 100m on the filament, extrude 100mm and see if they’re the same).
I have to wait for the new batch of PLA tomorrow to do this since the filament is always different.
Some people like to calibrate their printers to the n’th degree, which is fine if you’re printing one off items that you need to be high quality, I want my prints to come out as quickly as possible and I’ll worry about making a ‘perfect version’ once I have the model design perfected.
I should have done this weeks ago really but I’ve been so busy. Now I wish I’d gotten on with it… 4 hours to print a 76mm wide pentagon!! Ouch. Most of this is due to the fact that I need to print the curved part with a 0.1 layer height, otherwise it just looks terrible.
I intend to connect them using magnets glued into each part. Thats generally pretty strong and also allows me to demonstrate how many combinations would be available… It’s going to take several days to print them all out though and I’ll have to order some more filament too, my ABS is getting pretty low.
While I’m at it I will try doing a omnichain link or two, I’ll use the Nylon I bought a while ago for this since this stuff could probably be used in the actually prototype. Strong, slightly flexible and really tough to pull apart… unlike ABS and PLA. I also have some ninja flex so I would be able to make a few rollers too ! 🙂